Eco-nomics, The hidden costs of consumption
- eco nomics uncovering the hidden costs of everyday consumption ?
- meet joe.
- joe’s an average guy
- trying to make the right choices...
- for his family...
- and his pocketbook.
- in a single year, joe will spend $25,000 on consumer goods and energy
- and consume $100,000 worth of natural resources.
- joe pays for the products he uses...
- but is he paying the of consumption ?
- what about the costs?
- costs from pollution & contaminants
- costs from disaster and pollution cleanup & lost natural resources
- costs for oil & agribusiness subsidies
- military costs for energy & food security
- what would the true cost of products be...
- if their pricetags reflected the costs?
- gasoline the cost of filling up retail cost $43.73 hidden costs total cost $232.11 what’s hidden? environmental, healthcare, subsidies, security, and other traffic-related costs
- hidden costs gasoline
- plastic kid’s toy retail cost made in china $1.99 hidden costs total cost $3.94 what’s hidden? environmental costs for the oil needed to ship the toy
- cheeseburger retail cost the hidden cost of beef $1.99 hidden costs total cost $3.00 what’s hidden? environmental costs from the production of beef
- bottled water retail cost the true cost of convenience $2.50 hidden costs total cost $5.23 what’s hidden? environmental costs from the use of oil to produce and ship the plastic bottles
- home electricity retail cost a month’s supply $351 hidden costs total cost $784 what’s hidden? environmental costs from the use of coal power
- in a nation of 304 million...
- costs add up.
- $1.69 trillion hidden costs $513 billion annual U.S. consumption of gas
- $338 billion annual U.S. consumption of goods made in china $330 billion hidden costs
- $38 billion hidden costs $75 billion annual U.S. consumption of beef
- $5 billion annual U.S. consumption of bottled water $5.45 billion hidden costs
- $451 billion hidden costs $370 billion annual U.S consumption of electricity
- for the sake of convenience or a lower pricetag today...
- we’ve avoided paying the costs.
- so... who will pay our debt?
- our kids.
- through rising healthcare costs
- and higher taxes to pay for environmental cleanup, government subsidies, and food & oil security.
- and we haven’t even mentioned the things you can’t put a pricetag on...
- depletion of natural resources global warming lower quality of life animal & plant extinctions
- so what’s an average Joe to do?
- limit your impact. reduce your consumption (buy used, borrow, grow your own food) eat less meat walk or bike instead of driving
- vote with your dollars. support eco-conscious businesses and products buy food from farmers’ markets shop local to reduce transportation and shipping costs
- spread awareness. talk to your family & friends about the hidden costs of consumption teach your kids to consume less encourage your employer to be more eco-conscious
- your everyday choices make a difference.
- think about the costs
- and make nomical choices.
- for your family...
- and your pocketbook.
- don’t forget to vote for us on slideshare! for more information, visit www.mindsalt.net
uncover the hidden costs of everyday consumption presentation by mindsalt visit us at mindsalt.net